Congressman Vicente Gonzalez (TX-15) would like to notify you of the Emergency Broadband Benefit, an FCC Program that helps families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. This new opportunity will connect eligible households to remote jobs, critical healthcare services, virtual classrooms, and much more.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households. They can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from selected providers only if they are able to contribute more than $10 and less than $50 to the purchase price.
Please note, the Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to only one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
A household gains eligibility if one member of the household fills one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
To apply, you can:
- Contact your preferred participating broadband provider directly to learn about their application process.
- Go to GetEmergencyBroadband.org to apply online and to find participating providers near you.
- Call 833-511-0311 for a mail-in application, and return it along with copies of documents showing proof of eligibility to
Emergency Broadband Support Center
P.O Box 7081
London, KY 40742
Once a household obtains eligibility, they can contact their service provider of preference to select an Emergency Broadband Benefit plan.
For more information, please refer to the Emergency Broadband Benefit FAQ.
You can also find Congressman Gonzalez’s press release here.
Should you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact the district office in McAllen at 1305 W Hackberry Ave. McAllen, TX 78501 or by phone at (956) 682-5545.